When water damage is allowed to sit for too long, it can lead to some serious problems. In fact, there are two major hazards that result from prolonged water exposure in your Cedar Rapids home. At Challis Restoration, we want to make sure that homeowners know why it is so important to get water damage cleaned up as soon as possible. Here are the two main risks that can occur following water damage.
Walls, ceilings, floors, and foundation make up the basic structure of the home. While the materials that make up these components are sturdy and intended to last, even they are susceptible to the damaging effects of exposed water damage. The structural integrity of wood, sheetrock, insulation, sub flooring, drywall, cement, padding, carpet is greatly compromised when water is present for extended amounts of time. Because these materials are porous, they will absorb all the moisture that is available. This absorption will lead to expansion; which will then cause warping, weakening, rotting, cracking, and deterioration. If these materials, which make up the structural components of your home, are weakened by water the very integrity of your home is at risk. The longer water is allowed to sit following water damage, the more damage these structural materials will sustain.
Mold can begin growing in as little as 24 to 48 hours after water damage has occurred. Mold requires a food source, moisture, and time in order to grow. Since our homes are made up of prime food sources for mold (i.e. wood, drywall, sheetrock, etc), all it takes is for a little water leak, let alone a major water disaster, to allow mold to grow. If you allow the water to stay, or put off extraction and drying, mold will have the time it needs to grow and turn into a big problem. Mold is naturally occurring both indoors and outside, but when mold is found in the home it can pose some serious health risks. Since mold reproduces through microscopic spores that travel through the air and are easily inhaled by all those who are exposed to it, it can cause some serious respiratory symptoms. Coughing, sneezing, headaches, rashes, irritation to the eyes, runny nose, congestion, sore throat, fatigue, and skin irritation are just some of the side effects of mold exposure. For those with weakened immune systems and chronic illnesses – the elderly and infants – these symptoms are worsened and can include shortness of breath, allergic reactions, and sinus infections. These serious health effects make mold a huge risk anytime there is water damage; so cleanup, drying and restoration need to occur as quickly as possible to halt mold growth.
The best way to prevent structural damage and prevent mold from becoming a serious problem following water damage is to get the water extracted and dried as quickly as possible. With the use of professional grade equipment like extraction equipment, air movers, and dehumidifiers, Challis Restoration is able to respond quickly to get water dried effectively. When you find yourself dealing with any type of water damage, call Challis Restoration right away.