Signs Of Basement Water Damage
Water damage in the basement often goes unnoticed until it has become severe. The sooner water damage is found, the easier cleanup and restoration will be. To help catch water damage in your Cedar Rapids home, here are some signs that we at Challis Restoration recommend you should look for in your basement:
- Cracks in walls, floors, foundation and the ceiling could mean that water is putting pressure on those structures. Hairline cracks are often harmless, but if cracks are larger than one-sixteenth of an inch, then you need to get them inspected by a professional.Musty odors are a strong indicator of mold growth. If mold growth is present, so is water. If you notice a musty smell coming from your basement that a good cleaning cannot solve, then you need to have it inspected for leaks.
- Mold growth is a good indicator that there is water present. In order for mold to grow, it needs moisture. If moisture is present for longer than 48 hours, then mold will grow and spread. Mold is not only an indicator of a larger water damage problem, but it also causes a lot of respiratory symptoms like coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, itchy throat, and headaches. If you see mold, call to get it remediated right away.
- Sinking floors in your basement is one of the most noticeable signs of water damage. Floors may also sink due to foundation settling or soil erosion, but because of its potential cause of water damage, it is worth getting it checked as soon as it is noticed.
- Peeling and bubbling paint are not normal signs of paint aging. Water causes drywall to deteriorate, and as it deteriorates it will begin to show through the paint. If you notice these signs on your walls, watch out for cement under the paint to begin to flake, also known as spalling. If you notice white salt deposits accumulating on the foundation, this is called efflorescence and is also a sign of water damage behind the walls. If any of these signs are present in your basement, call in a water damage restoration company right away.
- Warping of floorboards and walls is a sign of water absorption in those materials. Wood, drywall, insulation, and floorboards are all porous materials that easily absorb water. After being wet for so long, they will begin to swell and warp. Do not overlook warping and have it checked for water damage if you notice it.
- Unusual dampness, humidity, or leaking pipes are all tall tale signs of water damage. If you feel like anything is out of the ordinary as far as temperature or humidity level in your basement, you should check for leaks or other signs of water damage.
Experiencing water damage in your basement can lead to further structural damage and mold growth in your home. The key to dealing with water damage is to respond quickly and thoroughly. Challis Restoration Services is fully trained and equipped to handle all your water damage restoration needs in Cedar Rapids and surrounding areas. Since basements are common places that receive water damage, you should perform regularly inspections and look for signs of water damage so that we can treat it as soon as it is caught.