5 Top Causes Of Home Fire Damage
Housefires happen every year for a number of reasons. No amount of prevention can completely eliminate the risk of a fire starting in your home. But knowing the major causes of housefires can help you take the precautions necessary to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in your home. The professionals at Challis Restoration have experienced all types of home fire damage and want to make sure that our community is taking proactive measures to stay safe.
Here are the five biggest causes of household fires.
- Cooking – It doesn’t matter if you are an experienced chef or a rookie coof, distractions happen and mistakes are made. The best way to prevent kitchen fires is to always be aware of what is happening in the kitchen, and keep it in sight. Removing yourself from the kitchen area could distract you from what you are cooking and cause a fire. Kitchen fires cause extreme damage every year and the restoration process can be complex as kitchen fires usually affect much more area than just the kitchen.
- Home Heating – House heating equipment is another common cause of house fires. This can include furnaces, chimneys/fireplaces, portable heaters, etc. These can overheat or overheat household items close to it. Always have furnaces inspected by a qualified technician to ensure there are no electrical problems. In addition, clean your chimney and fireplace to clean out smoke and soot. Lastly, investing in a carbon monoxide alarm will also alert you of the deadly gas produced by some fires. Taking these precautions will ensure your safety and keep restoration costs down.
- Cigarette – Even if you aren’t a smoker, smoking can be a cause of fire damage. Smoking away from the home is the best way to avoid fires from cigarettes. Simple right? However, it’s still a large reason for house fires. Make certain to fully extinguish your cigarettes, have a deep ashtray, and keep all ashtrays away from flammable items.
- Electrical Equipment – Another cause of home fire damage. Outlets can be bombarded with plugs, cords can fray, electrical wires can run under heavy objects, or you can overuse an appliance or cord. These are major hazards of fire damage. Make sure to always inspect your appliances, cords, and outlets. Taking this simple step can help you avoid fire damage restoration.
- Candle Flames – As cool and good smelling as they are, candles are a huge fire hazard when not treated right. The main reason candles begin fires is that they aren’t put on a sturdy surface and they are next to something flammable. To avoid fire damage from a candle, always put your candle away from kids, on a table or something very similar, and away from blankets, pillows, papers, etc.
Fire Damage Restoration Services
These are just a couple ways house fires can start. So many homes have fallen victim to fires and fire damage. If your home does fall victim to a fire, make sure to call an expert to help with your clean up needs. Experts like those at Challis understand the devastating reality of fire damage and will be able to assist you with any of your fire restoration needs.